This activity was to write 2 journal entry’s of two characters from a certain scene from the movie “I am Sam” and identify the characters fears and be able to show how it is there fear in the scene. Journal Entry of Sam and Lucy Dawson

Journal Entry of Sam & Lucy Dawson

Sam:

Setting; In Sam’s house with Rita after he gave up on the stand in court

I just got back from court and I was on the stand today and at the beginning it was going super good and then the Prosecution lawyer was harassing me about Lucy deserving better. I tried my hardest but I couldn’t argue that because I know I can take care of Lucy maybe not give her everything other parents are able to give their kids but I can give her as a much as I can and I just didn’t know how to get that out and tell the lawyer, so I just gave up and told them that Lucy deserves better than me, which now thinking about it was a pretty big mistake. After the court when I got home I was really angry at myself and I needed to try to get it out. I found a little piano and I started playing it, but more just banging on it. I thought it would help with my anger but it didn’t. I had to think of another way to get it out. Then I looked over and saw a bunch of newspaper. That was it, I knew how to get my anger out. So I took the newspaper and started making tons and tons of origami with it. After I had at least 100-150 pieces of origami I built a fort for me just to sit in and think with them, and that’s just what I did. I sat there and just thought. Then I heard a big bang on the door. It was Rita telling me to open up the door, I didn’t want to talk to anyone so I just left it. She kept knocking and knocking but I didn’t answer. Finally she kicked the door open and came in. She told me that I needed to try harder a not give up so easily. I stood up and told her “You don’t know how it feels to try and try and try and try and still fail every time, you don’t know what it’s like to be different because you’re perfect, you’re just perfect”. Rita looked at me and told me that she’d not perfect that her husband is out cheating on her every night and her son hates her because she doesn’t spend enough time with him and she just keeps him occupied by buying him things and she also said “people like me feel lost, and little, and ugly, and dispensable”.

In this scene I found Sam’s fear being never being able to see Lucy again and so he had lots of anger and he was also afraid that nobody would accept him for who he is because he was born with autism.

Lucy:

Setting; Sam’s house for Lucy’s 7th birthday party

Today’s my birthday and Annie was walking me home. I walked into my house and daddy had a bunch of my friends over and his friends for a surprise birthday party for me. It was really nice of him to do and I was happy with it. A boy that’s my age told my dad that I told him he’s not my real dad. Daddy looked at me and looked really sad he didn’t say anything and I didn’t know what to say I was caught in the middle and I felt really bad. I ran out of the house outside, and daddy ran after me.

In this scene I really believe that Lucy’s fear is telling people Sam is her father because of his disability and she’s kind of embarrassed, but by seeing his face once the little boy tells Sam that Lucy said that and seeing the sadness on his face I think Lucy realized she hurt her dad, and throughout the movie she starts become more and more confident of telling people that Sam is her real dad and isn’t afraid to say it.

One thought on “I am Sam: CC Section A Journal Entry of Sam and Lucy Dawson”

1. You’ve done a wonderful job, Makenzie, of putting yourself into Sam’s shoes to consider the sources of his fear and pain. I also like that you considered explaining your reasoning for journalling those thoughts for the character. One thing to consider in review is the length of Lucy’s post – it’s considerably shorter and not as specifically written. You may have been rushed, unless you wrote it that way purposefully thinking it fitting since she’s a young girl, but I’d remind you that her mentality surpasses her dad’s. When you’re capable of wonderful and insightful work, it stands out more when you’re less insightful in a second entry. 🙂